ComCare is for seniors who need supervision or limited assistance to remain independent at home.  It can also offer services to support those caring for a frail older person at home.

Those who qualify for ComCare meet with a nurse or social worker to develop a plan of care that customizes services to assist them at home.  Once enrolled, a case manager works with them to be sure needs are met with quality services, and that the plan of care is adjusted as needs change.

How do I qualify for ComCare?

The primary criteria for enrollment in ComCare are age and level of care.

You must be at least 60 years old.

Level of care is based on the type and amount of help you need with tasks such as personal care and household chores.

How much does this cost?

There is no charge for an in-home assessment to discuss your needs and options.

There is a sliding-scale fee for ComCare services.  Whether or not you pay a portion of the service cost is based on your income and assets.  The cost for services (if any) is determined at the assessment, and you may choose to accept or decline enrollment at that time.

What happens at an assessment?

A nurse or social worker visits you in your home to assess your needs and discuss options.  You will answer many questions and the assessor will observe your level of independence.  The assessor will need to review documentation of income and assets to make a preliminary determination about your eligibility for in-home assistance.

What information should I have ready for my assessment?

In order for the assessor to determine your eligibility for in-home assistance, you must be willing to provide the following information at the time of assessment:

  • Social Security card
  • Medicare card, if you have one
  • Proof of age
  • Proof of income
  • Insurance documents
  • Proof of assets
  • Your doctors’ names, addresses, and phone numbers
  • Your medical problems
  • Medicines and treatments you are receiving
  • Names of family or friends who help you
  • Names of any agencies currently providing help

Who decides what services I will have?

During the assessment visit, you will discuss with staff the areas where you need help at home and services available to you.  A care plan with a package of services is then developed to meet your needs.  This collaborative effort includes staff, the senior receiving services, and caregivers.

How soon can I get help?

Because there is limited state funding for ComCare services, you may be placed on a waiting list until funds are available.  Montgomery County seniors have additional funds available from the Human Service Levy.

Who do I call?

For questions about our home care programs; or to request an assessment in Clark, Greene, and Montgomery Counties; call 937-223-HELP or 800-258-7277, or email here.

Catholic Social Services of the Miami Valley manages the same home care programs in Champaign, Darke, Logan, Miami, Preble, and Shelby Counties.  Call 800-521-6419 or email here for services in those counties.