PASSPORT is for seniors age 60 and older who need the level of care provided in a nursing home, but want to stay in their home. It is a statewide program funded by Medicaid.

Those who qualify for PASSPORT work with a nurse or social worker to develop a plan of care that customizes services to help them remain at home. Once enrolled, a case manager works with them to be sure needs are met with quality services, and that the plan of care is adjusted as needs change.

How do I qualify for PASSPORT?

The primary criteria for enrollment in PASSPORT are age, level of care, and income.

You must be at least 60 years old.

You need the same level of care as someone in a nursing home — extensive help with personal care or requiring 24-hour supervision to prevent harm.  Level of care is determined at the initial assessment.

You must qualify for the Medicaid waiver, but do not assume that you will be ineligible if you have been denied traditional Medicaid in the past.  The assessor will determine your Medicaid eligibility during the initial home visit.

How much does this cost?

There is no charge for an in-home assessment to discuss your needs and options.

There is no charge for PASSPORT services if you are under a set income level.  If you are over the income level, you may choose to pay a monthly amount determined at the time of enrollment or decline enrollment.

What happens at an assessment?

A nurse or social worker visits you in your home to assess your needs and discuss options.  You will answer many questions and the assessor will observe your level of independence.  The assessor will need to review documentation of income and assets to make a preliminary determination about your eligibility for in-home assistance.  If enrolled in one of our home care programs, you will work with the assessor to develop an initial plan of care.

If you qualify for Medicaid but are not currently enrolled, the assessor can assist with completion of the Medicaid application.  You must then follow up with the application process through the Department of Job and Family Services.

What information should I have ready for my assessment?

In order for the assessor to determine your eligibility for in-home assistance, you must be willing to provide the following information at the time of assessment:

  • Social Security card
  • Medicare card, if you have one
  • Proof of age
  • Proof of income
  • Insurance documents
  • Proof of assets
  • Your doctors’ names, addresses, and phone numbers
  • Your medical problems
  • Medicines and treatments you are receiving
  • Names of family or friends who help you
  • Names of any agencies currently providing help

Who decides what services I will have?

During the assessment visit, you will discuss with staff the areas where you need help at home and services available to you.  A care plan with a package of services is then developed to meet your needs.  This collaborative effort includes staff, the senior receiving services, and caregivers.

Can I qualify for PASSPORT if I’ve been denied Medicaid in the past?

PASSPORT is funded by a Medicaid Waiver that differs from traditional Medicaid, and therefore you may qualify for Medicaid even if you have been denied in the past.  If you provide income and asset information to our assessor, a preliminary determination can be made during the in-home assessment.  The assessor can also assist in completion of the Medicaid application, but you must follow up with the application process through the Department of Job and Family Services.

Do not let a past denial stop you from getting the services you need.

Does estate recovery apply to PASSPORT?

Yes.  PASSPORT is a Medicaid program, and under federal and state law, the state may recover money paid for your Medicaid benefits from your estate.  The purpose of estate recovery is to allow states to recoup some of the tax dollars invested in Medicaid, in order to reduce the escalating cost of one of the largest and fastest growing government programs.

Who do I call?

For questions about our home care programs; or to request an assessment in Clark, Greene, and Montgomery Counties; call 937-223-HELP or 800-258-7277, or email here.

Catholic Social Services of the Miami Valley manages the same home care programs in Champaign, Darke, Logan, Miami, Preble, and Shelby Counties.  Call 800-521-6419 or email here for services in those counties.