Mental health is important at all stages of life, including in older adulthood where new life changes can occur. Mental health includes emotional, psychological and social well-being. Be aware of the signs and symptoms of mental health issues so that we can all work together to support one another.
Symptoms of mental health disorders in older adults mentioned by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) include some of the following:
- Noticeable changes in mood, energy level or appetite
- Feeling flat or having trouble feeling positive emotions
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Difficulty concentrating, feeling restless or on edge
- Increased worry or feeling stressed
Read more about symptoms, signs and ways to get help from the NIMH. NIMH » Older Adults and Mental Health (nih.gov) If you are worried about your mental health or are worried about someone you know, there are resources and people out there who are willing to help, no matter what your situation is.